History - Work and Exhibits
My mother, a painter, encouraged my creativity at a young age. While her initial motive might have been to keep her youngest of five kids out of trouble, something extra developed: I began to see things differently. I have worked in different mediums - photography, filmmaking, writing, and painting. Years ago I decided to focus my creativity toward painting, embracing the joy I feel when I work with my hands.
I started to paint outdoors on the sidewalks using the lines to create landscape paintings. It was not long before I fell in love with manhole covers and I have been painting them for the last fifteen years. At some point I realized I was just taking what I loved from other mediums and exploring them in my craft of painting. Hence my love of composition, color, story telling and most of all my love for people. Thus as I transform these historical shapes I am able to exercise the black and white style of photography that I have been doing since age ten; the colors and lines I enjoyed while studying Art history in Europe; and the narrative structure I learned at NYC film school. Mix that all in a bowl with an eventful life and you have me on my knees in the streets of New York City, painting and sharing stories with all kinds of people.
Sometimes I'm out there painting and I will hear a voice of a passerby saying, "Wow! I've been walking over manhole covers for years and never looked at them that way". Then, I think, maybe what I do will help people realize we have the ability to look at things differently. I guess if I do that, I've done my job as an Artist.
Teaching/Public Speaking (2005-Present)
The W.A.R.M Organization (NYC)
• Public Speaker
- Course & Seminar on living a balanced Life, based on my book: Tool of Vision. (Read Book)
Montefiore Children’s Hospital (Bronx, NYC)
- Child Life Art Teacher
- Winner of the 2007 United Hospital Fund National Achievement Award.
- Instructed and created therapeutic artistic expression courses.
- Counseled children in the adolescent dialysis unit.
- 2016 SoHo Salon - A series 24 paintings (SoHo NYC) (VIEW FILM);
- 2013 Directions — A series of 19 paintings (Port Washington Gallery, Long Island, New York)
- 2012 Beneath Our Feet — A series of 12 paintings (The Flo Gallery, New York City) [...More]
- 2006 Clouds Out West — 18 Landscape paintings (Silver Whale Gallery, New York City) [...More]
- 2005 City Surfaces — A series of 28 paintings (Tribeca Center for the Arts, New York City) [...More]
- 2003 Manhattan Manholes — A series of 9 paintings (Revolution, New York City) [...More]
- 2002 Phoframture — Photography, framing and sculpture (Xio Ping Showroom, New York City) [...More]
- 2011 Little Voice — A collection of 500 poetic expressions and insights.
- 2010 Tool of Vision — Finding a plan on living a balanced life.
- 2008 No Less Than Love — Explores the priority of love and our relationship with ourselves, others and society.
Screenplays (Feature Length)
- Edit Life
- Across the Bridge
- 1995- 2004 Madison Square Garden — Director/Producer/Writer
- Celebrity Taxi Shorts — Short films with various celebrities
View films > Beastie Boys | Ben Stiller | Chris Rock | Spike Lee
- Where Knicks Dare — Nominated for best in-arena music video [View Film]
- Midnight Moment — What happens in Times Square at 12 o’clock [View Film]
- Outside the Game — A series documenting events [View Film] [View More]
Directed the celebrity/fan camera during all Knicks and Rangers home games.
- 1991-95 New York University, (BFA / Film) Tisch School of the Arts
- Regents College,(Art Education) London, England
Marymount College, Los Angeles, CA
- Noted Work:
Pizza Boy (Cuban International film festival, French TV distribution) [View Film]
Fresh Seafood (NYC mayor's office film archive) [View Film]